The Salt Lake City National Weather Service Office has forecasted an extended heat wave this week ,starting today through next week. Temperatures in the Salt Lake valley are expected to be 102 on Friday, Saturday, Sunday; 101 on Monday; and 100 on Tuesday.
Heat stroke precautions need to be taken and residents are encouraged to practice fire prevention.
Heat Safety: Precautions and Suggestions
* Learn the symptoms of heat stroke and heat exhaustion and seek immediate medical attention if necessary.
* Check on the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions as needed.
* Never leave children or pets in parked vehicles. Even leaving windows open is not enough to keep temperatures from rising to dangerous levels.
* Slow down, dress for summer, drink plenty of water and consider postponing afternoon outdoor activities.
Very hot temperatures increase fire danger. Utah averages about 1,900 wildfires each year. Draper City is advising community members to please be careful with fireworks this season and use them only in permitted areas. This summer season is predicted to be very dry and hot.
Fireworks - Prohibited Areas in Draper City
To protect lives and property, the use of fireworks is prohibited in certain areas of Draper City. These areas will be strictly enforced during the July holiday season. For permitted areas, click on the link below to view the map.
Chinese Lanterns, also known as Khoom Fay, are paper lanterns or sky lanterns that emit a stunning glow that stays lit for 20 minutes and can travel several miles. While beautiful and exciting, they are prohibited in any part of Draper City.
The Firewise Program is being introduced in Draper with the goal to reduce the loss of lives, property and resources to wildland fire by building and maintaining communities in a way that is compatible with our natural surroundings. Landowners understandably prefer to make choices related to their surroundings. Often people believe there is nothing they can do, that wildfire mitigation is too difficult or prohibitively expensive. This is not the case. Get involved. Learn about the Firewise Program at: http://firewise.org/communities/usa-recognition-program.aspx
A presentation on the Firewise Program will be held on July 18 at The Village Green Park from 7-9 pm.
Fire Prevention Tactics
* Never use fireworks near dry grass or other flammable materials.
* Check Draper City Firework restriction areas
* Never park on, or drive through dry grass
* Avoid target shooting near dry grass and other flammable materials
* Avoid being in areas where you might become trapped by a wildfire