News Flash Home
The original item was published from 1/11/2017 1:12:15 PM to 2/28/2017 6:05:07 PM.

News Flash

Draper News

Posted on: January 11, 2017

[ARCHIVED] How to Recycle in Draper

Commingling trash

How do I place recycling in my recycle bin?

You can place recyclable items directly into your recycling container without having to separate or bag like items.  Rocky Mountain Recycling defines this as commingling.  They are trying to make recycling as easy for you as possible.  They have machinery that can sort the materials at their facility.

Should I put my recycling items in plastic bags? 

Since Rocky Mountain Recycling uses Single Stream Recycling equipment, they prefer that recyclable items not be bagged, but be placed all together in the recycling container in a commingled fashion. However, they have made an exception for Draper residents who live in bench areas where it can be extremely windy.  For those homeowners living in windy areas, Rocky Mountain Recycling said to go ahead and bag your recycling items, especially loose papers.  Once the contents of your recycle container arrive at Rocky Mountain Recycling, they have staff who opens up the bags and processes the items.  Bagging your recycling adds time and expense to the recycling process, so only bag your recycling if you live in a high wind area.

What does the term Single Stream Recycling mean?

Single Stream Recycling means that material is collected in a total commingled fashion. You can put all of your recycling items into your container in a combined or mixed fashion.  Link to video:

How is the recycling material separated?

The material is separated through the use of automated separation equipment at the MRF (Material Recovery Facility). This process is faster and more efficient than if a person were to separate their items into separate bins curbside.

Can I put metal items into my recycling container?

No, metal is not accepted by Rocky Mountain Recycling. You can, however, recycle:

  • Aluminum cans, trays & foil – trays and foil must be cleaned
  • Steel and tin cans – cleaned out
  • Milk & juice cartons
  • Most plastics and paper – please visit for more information.

Where does the truck take my recycling items?

Draper City has trucks that pick up the contents of your recycle bin and transport these items to Rocky Mountain Recycling.

What am I not supposed to put into my recycling container?

Do not put metal, motor oil, insecticide, paint, herbicide or hazardous chemical container or other household waste in your recycling container.  Plastic grocery bags are not allowed either, please return these to the grocery or department store.  No plastic film (plastic sheets, tarps or wrap).

Where can I recycle Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste is anything in or around your home that is poisonous, flammable, corrosive, or toxic, as well as products (such as electronics) that contain certain materials like metal.  There are two locations where you can dispose of your household hazardous waste:  the Salt Lake Valley Landfill and at the Trans-Jordan Landfill.  Salt Lake County hosts free community collection events every May through August.

  • Fuels
  • Paint
  • Pesticides
  • Yard care chemicals
  • Batteries
  • Cooking oil
  • Automotive fluids and products
  • Fluorescent light bulbs
  • Devices that contain mercury
  • Televisions/monitors
  • Computers and peripherals
  • Cell phones


Facebook Twitter Email