ESTABLISHMENT OF A FREE SPEECH ZONE FOR DRAPER DAYS RODEO
JULY 7-8, 2023
WHEREAS, Draper City Municipal Code § 13-5-4 delegates to the Draper City Manager the authority to establish a content neutral free speech zone "for any event which the city manager or the manager's designee determines the establishment of a free speech zone would serve a substantial government interest such as traffic flow, crowd control, or public safety on public property.";
WHEREAS, Draper City is conducting a rodeo as part of its Draper Days celebration on July 7-8, 2023, at the city-owned Andy Ballard Arena located at approximately1600 E. Highland Dr., Draper, Utah;
WHEREAS, Draper City seeks to establish a free speech zone that will allow persons wishing to exercise their First Amendment rights ("Advocates") the opportunity to communicate their message to rodeo participants and attendees while ensuring safe traffic flow, crowd control and the safety of all participants and attendees at the rodeo;
WHEREAS, the rodeo attracts a crowd of approximately 2,100 to 2,400 spectators each night, as well as employees, volunteers, vendors, rodeo participants and others;
WHEREAS, vehicular access to the Andy Ballard Arena is from Highland Drive, which is a busy arterial road;
WHEREAS, there is a plaza in front of the arena where spectators enter the arena and pre-rodeo activities such as food vendors and live entertainment are provided for spectators;
WHEREAS, spectators and vehicular traffic in the parking area adjacent to the arena are compressed into a relatively small area; and
WHEREAS, the free speech zone is situated such that Advocates have ample opportunity to communicate their message to people arriving on foot or by vehicle and is of ample size to accommodate the number of Advocates reasonably anticipated to exercise their free speech rights.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE DRAPER CITY MANAGER HEREBY ESTABLISHES A FREE SPEECH ZONE AS FOLLOWS:
- Free Speech Zone Established. A free speech zone is established at the Andy Ballard Arena as designated on the attached map.
- Description of the Event. The Draper Days Rodeo being held at the Andy Ballard Arena located at approximately1600 E. Highland Dr., Draper, UT on July 7 and 8, 2023, from 5:30 p.m.-11:00 p.m.
- Boundaries of the Event. See the attached map.
- Location of the Free Speech Zone. See the attached map.
- Boundaries of the Free Speech Zone. See the attached map.
- Hours of Regulation. 5:30 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. July 7 and July 8, 2023.
- Traffic Flow. Advocates may not engage in activities that obstruct or impede pedestrians or vehicles.
- Physical Contact. Advocates may not harass bystanders with physical contact.
- City or Private Property. Advocates may not tie, nail, or otherwise physically attach any banners, signs, pictures, instructional materials, symbols, or other personal property to any city property or private property.
- Sound Amplification. Advocates' use of mechanical loudspeakers or sound amplification devices in the free speech zone, including, but not limited to, megaphones, bullhorns, and electric amplifiers, is prohibited during the Event from 7:30 p.m.-11:00 p.m. in order to protect the safety of spectators and participants.
- Free Speech Zone. Establishment of a free speech zone serves the following substantial public interests: (i) creating a safe space for Advocates to exercise their free speech rights; (ii) ensuring safe ingress and egress for vehicular and pedestrian traffic to the arena, including, but not limited to, spectators, participants and their vehicles and equipment (which include vehicles and personnel for the livestock participating in the Event), vendors and employees, and security and emergency personnel and their vehicles and equipment; (iii) ensuring the safety of participants, spectators, hosts, security and emergency personnel, and any other members of the public attending this Event throughout the Event.
- Amplification. Establishment of the above restrictions on the use of the sound amplification devices serves the following substantial public interests: (i) ensuring that Advocates have a reasonable opportunity to communicate their message to participants and attendees, and (ii) ensuring the safety of participants, spectators, hosts, security and emergency personnel, and any other members of the public attending this Event throughout the Event.
- Publication of Notice. The Communications Director is directed to make this document and its accompanying exhibits available to the public at least twenty-four (24) hours before the start of the Draper Days Rodeo.
ATTEST: DRAPER CITY
Laura, Oscarson, City Recorder