Salt Lake County Emergency Management is preparing for possible flooding this weekend (March 11) into next week due to the amount of snow accumulation and rain in the forecast.
Please review the following to be prepared and stay safe:
- Inspect your rain gutters and downspouts and confirm that they are clear of snow and debris.
- Be sure storm drains closest to your home and the area around them are clear of any debris.
- Pay attention to your landscaping, making sure water drains away from your home.
- Keep children and pets away from potential flood and drainage areas.
- Rain on low-elevation valley snow can melt it quickly and increase runoff along streets and roadways.
- Shallow flooding of parking lots, roadways, and intersections could be possible.
- Watch out for surface runoff and shallow sheet flooding from snow-covered open areas of land or driveways that slope toward a home or residence.
Additional tips, including how to properly place sandbags, are available here- Flood Preparedness Manual - Public Works-Flood Control | SLCo
Draper City has set up a free self-serve sandbag filling area at Ballard Arena. See image below for exact location at the arena. This service is for Draper residents only and not for private contractors.
This quick video from USU Extension also provides some good insight.
Draper City will provide updates on our communication channels of any flooding impacts in Draper.