News Flash

Draper News

Posted on: September 30, 2021

New Permits Required - Accessory Dwelling Units


As of October 1, 2021, due to changes in both State and City Codes, owners of single-family homes with Accessory Dwelling Units in Draper City are now required to obtain an ADU permit.

ADUs are often referred to as mother-in-law apartments, granny flats, or guest homes. Some homes with second kitchens may also need to apply for an ADU permit if the second kitchen is being used as an additional dwelling unit.

Visit for additional information, frequently asked questions, and the ADU permit application. The City has approved a grace period against enforcement on existing ADU’s for permit applications that come in before or on February 1, 2022.

All construction work related to homes (basement finishes, remodeling, adding a second kitchen, etc.) require the homeowner/contractor to obtain a building permit for the work.

If you have questions about the new ADU code, implementation policy, permits, or whether your property is eligible for an ADU please contact the Planning Department at 801-576-6399 or at Some helpful links have been provided below.  

Please review our interactive map to see if your property is eligible for an ADU. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Draper News