Public Information - Funeral and Internment of Sgt. Derek Johnson
Public Viewing – Thursday, September 5, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Funeral Services – Friday, September 6, 11:00 a.m., Maverik Center
Funeral service attendees: please approach Maverik center from 3500 South on Decker Lake Drive.
Friday Road Closures
1) Starting at 8:30 a.m. until last procession car has left the Maverik Center: Decker Lake Drive (2200 W.), both north and south, from 3100 South to in front of the Maverik Center, will be closed to through traffic to accommodate ingress/egress of funeral attendees.
2) From approximately 9-9:30 a.m., 3500 South between 2200 and 2700 West will be closed to all traffic so Unified Fire Authority can set up a flag bridge over 3500 South.3) From the funeral procession start (12:30-1 p.m.) until the last vehicle leaves: Decker Lake Drive, in both directions, from 3100-3500 South will be closed; this includes business and hotel access.
4) Freeway traffic: the funeral procession will not travel at freeway speed.5) Onramps/offramps closed along the funeral procession route: this includes 3500 South to I-215 to I-15 interchange to 12300 South; also the I-215 offramp to westbound 3500 South will be shutdown to facilitate funeral procession. Traffic already on the freeway (I-215 or I-15) will be able to pass on the left, but access to offramps will be significantly restricted by the flow of the funeral procession.
See the link to map below and please follow instructions of officers directing traffic. The processional route is: I-215 at 3500 South to the I-15 Interchange and then south on I-15 to 12300 South Exit. Then it heads east following 12300 South as it winds through Draper (which is why they are going this far south). This road eventually turns into 1500 East, then 1700 East, which eventually intersects with 10600 South, from which point the procession will head east to the cemetery’s eastern entrance. Officers will direct traffic appropriately within the cemetery.
Internment at Larkin Sunset Mortuary – Friday, September 6, approximately 2 p.m.
Internment at Larkin Sunset Mortuary (1950 East 10600 South): reporters should set up at 12:30 p.m. and be in place by 1 p.m.
Road Closures & Traffic Impact:
1) 12300 South from I-5 east to 1700 East will be closed during the procession.
2) 1700 East from 12300 South to 10600 South will be closed during the procession.
3) 10600 South east from 1700 East to 2000 East will be closed during the procession to the end of the graveside services.
4) This is a large funeral procession that will be traveling southbound from the Maverik Center to I-215 then eastbound to I-15 southbound to the Draper exit (12300 South). Please notify the public that there will be a steady stream of traffic – please try to avoid this area if at all possible.
5) Follow @drapercity and use the hashtag #SgtJohnsonFuneral. For traffic updates, follow @UDOTTraffic
Funeral Procession route: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zgE0eiwqKonM.k8yRHV76Lz_I
Contacts: Maridene Hancock, Public Relations Officer, Office of the Mayor, Draper City(801) 576-6527 Cell: (801) 831-7224 firstname.lastname@example.orgMs. Hancock will be unavailable Friday.
Graveside PIO: Sgt. Robin Heiden, Lead PIO, Salt Lake Police Department (801) 799-6397 email@example.com
Maverik Center PIO: Officer Gary Keller, South Salt Lake Police Department (801) 412-3635 firstname.lastname@example.org