Accessory Dwelling Units

Detached ADU stock photo
Examples of ADUS - graphic

As of October 1, 2021, due to changes in both State and City Codes, owners of single-family homes with Accessory Dwelling Units in Draper City are required to obtain an ADU permit.

ADUs are often referred to as mother-in-law apartments, granny flats, or guest homes. Some homes with second kitchens may also need to apply for an ADU permit if the second kitchen is being used as an additional dwelling unit.

The City has approved a grace period against enforcement on existing ADUs for permit applications that come in before or on February 1, 2022.

All construction work related to homes (basement finishes, remodeling, adding a second kitchen, etc.) requires the homeowner/contractor to obtain a building permit for the work.

Accessory Dwelling Unit Permit Application