As the weather warms up it brings increased yard, landscaping, and building projects. As you may be starting such projects, Draper City requests that you contain these projects to your own property and be watchful to not encroach on adjoining properties.

Draper City is fortunate to have many parks, trails, and open spaces. This also means that there are many residents whose property borders or abuts City-owned property where encroachment can happen unknowingly or inadvertently. Encroachment is using city-owned property in a manner that’s your own — as in landscaping, installing fencing or other structures, or making other improvements to the property. It can also include using city property for discarding what you don’t want on your own property such as yard waste, garbage or other debris.

City property includes trails and open space, conservation easements of various kinds, parks, and miscellaneous properties. You can see maps of various kinds here. Find the full City Code describing encroachment here.

Checking Property Boundaries

How do you know if you’re encroaching on city properties? Check your boundaries! For a quick glance to determine if your property abuts Draper City property, you can find your property and surrounding properties on the Salt Lake County parcel map. The most foolproof way to know where your property ends and city property begins is to have your property professionally surveyed. Please confirm that any of your structures, fences, landscaping, sprinkler lines, or accesses to your property are not on and don’t run through Draper City property.

Other Reminders

  • Don’t use city property to access your yard or your private property
  • Do not drive on city trails or open space
  • Do not dump on city property (garbage, yard waste, construction spoils, fill material, etc.)
  • City open space — including trails — is not for yard waste.  Do not dump grass clippings, pulled weeds or branches over the fence
  • Don’t use or treat city property as your own, it is public property for everyone


Email the City with any questions, comments, or concerns.