Complaint Procedure

The employees of the Draper City Police Department are carefully selected, highly trained and serve with pride and professionalism. However, as in any organization, deviations from ideal performance occur. Allegations of misconduct against Department personnel are investigated thoroughly and objectively, and appropriate action taken, with the goal of maintaining the integrity of the Department and the confidence of the public.


Every citizen has the right to make a complaint against any employee of the Police Department. The complaint may be made to any supervisor or administrator. A complaint may be made online, in person, by telephone, by mail, or by a person not directly involved in the incident. Complaints may also be made anonymously. The Department will release to the complaining party a copy of his or her own signed statement when the complaint is filed in person. All others will be mailed.

Once a complaint is received, the following procedure is followed:

  1. The complaint is forwarded to the Chief of Police and is assigned to the appropriate supervisor.
  2. The person filing the complaint will be sent a letter acknowledging the Department has received the complaint and indicating the file number.
  3. Upon completion of the investigation, the case will be forwarded to the Chief of Police for final disposition and appropriate action
  4. The complaint will be sent another letter advising that the investigation has been completed and the determined disposition of the complaint.

How to File a Complaint

The following information is important when filing a complaint:

  • The officer's name and description, and vehicle number, if obtained
  • Witnesses names, addresses and telephone numbers
  • Any other evidence you feel may be important such as copies of citations, photographs, etc.
  • If you are injured, it is important that you file your complaint as soon as possible so that photographs can be taken and medical records obtained quickly

There are several ways to file a complaint, they are:

  • Complete the online Citizen Complaint Form. Do not use this from to report a crime or request police assistance. Call dispatch at (801) 840-4000.
  • Complete a form in person at the Police Department
  • By phone by calling dispatch at (801) 840-4000 and requesting to speak to a supervisor.

If you have additional questions, contact Police Administration at (801) 576-6314.