The Legal Department provides legal services and advice to the Mayor, City Council and staff on a wide variety of legal issues and oversees a contract with a private law firm for prosecution services. The Legal Department is under the direction of City Attorney Mike Barker who is responsible for administering the legal affairs of the city. These responsibilities include the following:
- Provide legal counsel to the Mayor and City Council, City Manager, city boards and commissions and city officers in relation to their official duties.
- Draft and reviewing contracts
- Draft and reviewing municipal ordinances
- Advise city departments on insurance and risk management issues
- Manage outside legal counsel
- Manage or engage in advocacy before all state and federal courts.
City Prosecutor David Lassetter of Cowdell & Woolley, PC, represents Draper City and handles most Class B and C misdemeanors and infractions such as city ordinance violations, traffic violations, DUIs, domestic violence, shoplifting and minor drug and alcohol matters. He also handles many Class A misdemeanors in the district court system.
Court Services: If you are looking for Draper City’s Court Services, click here.
Claims: If you are looking to file a claim against the city, fill out the Claim Form or call 801-576-6386.
Contact Legal Department
1020 E. Pioneer Rd.
Draper, UT 84020
Assistant City Attorney
David Lassetter, Cowdell & Woolley, PC